Week 1

I have found 35 ACM articles on current research with the Wiimote and am still reading through them all. So far they cover a wide range of topics, from medical uses to 3D social interaction to gesture recognition. These articles will help me describe why the Wiimote is such a popular user interface to be researching, and why it is worth pursuing for my thesis.

I have done more online research to better understand how the Wiimote does motion sensing through IR, and perused some C++ libraries for the Wiimote (Coding4Fun and WiiYourself). My co-advisor Orit Shaer suggested using GlovePIE, an interface for using all sorts of inputs to play games or use software, such as Wiimotes (including extensions), joysticks, and Virtual Reality gloves. Spending some time with it this afternoon, I found that it can be quickly learned, and there are many Wiimote scripts available. However, more time needs to be devoted on the numerous Wiimote outputs that GlovePIE has built in, from Nunchuk features to the pitch and roll of the Wiimote. If I choose to do motion sensing, I would need to order a sensor bar or use IR LEDs, and figure out what the outputs are referred to in GlovePIE. Choosing to do GlovePIE would essentially mean that I would no longer need a Director Xtra, but first I will need to decide if motion sensing will play an integral part in this project (currently, the Director Xtra does not support any Wiimote extension or IR motion sensing). I will probably end up creating several small demos that will showcase how to use a Wiimote with GlovePIE and with the Director Xtra.

Last time, I was able to get one Wiimote working with Glisferox‘s test application in Director. My second Wiimote came in the mail today, so I was able to try a test application that Jamie from Glisferox sent me that supposedly worked with two Wiimotes. After tweaking it a little bit, I got them to work; they had the same behaviors, but their LED lights differentiated them from each other.

I realize that I have a lot of information spread out everywhere, from research articles to online how-to research to actually implementing in Director or GlovePIE, but the purpose was to get a general sense of what could be done, what my options are, so that then I could logically plan out my next step and choose what to spend more time on (not analyzing the C++ libraries!).

Next step: Finish reading the ACM articles, create small demo with current Xtra capabilities, motion sensing, getting more comfortable with roll and pitch.

This entry was posted in Undergrad thesis and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.